Link Exchange

If you have home improvement or awning related website and interested in link exchange, please contact on this email id : how2learn.in@gmail.com
Powered by Blogger.

How to Attach Awning to House

Window awnings provide protection from the sun, heat and rain. They also add value and a decorative touch to your home. You can attach an awning to a patio yourself using the instructions that come with the awning. While not difficult to do, awnings are bulky so attaching them is a job for two people.  Window awnings help cut the cost of heating and cooling your home by deflecting sunlight off windows. Aluminum awnings withstand weather elements longer than wood awnings that can warp and rot. After measuring your windows for your awnings and purchasing the equipment, installation usually takes less than an hour for each window. Most kits will include the parts needed for installation, but not the tools.


Step 1: Find a Good Spot

Make sure that you have an appropriate place for your window awning. You want to make sure that it can be fully extended and retracted without anything getting in the way. Do you want the awning over a patio, window, or a door? Make these decisions early so that you don't have to start over if you change your mind later.

Step 2: Decide on Material

Determine what type of material you will want to use for your window awning. Materials come in different strengths and textures. Do you want an awning that only shades you from the sun, or do you want an awning that also keeps the rain off of your space? Canvas and marine fabric are the most common types of materials used. They can be treated to be weatherproof. Some people would rather have a light weight mesh to shade the area, and other still will want an aluminum material for permanence.

Step 3: Choose an Extension Length

Decide how big you need your awning to extend. It can extend as little as 1 foot or as far as 13 feet depending on your needs. Larger patio awnings may require permits or permission from the zoning board. A small awning will generally not have these problems.

Step 4: Retractable or Fixed

A lateral arm retractable awning will allow you to extend your awning without needing extra supports. These awnings only need one attachment to the house on the wall. Many times just four support brackets are required on the wall.

Step 5: Mounting Options

Although it is a two-person job because of the width of most awnings, they are not heavy or difficult to install yourself. If you do not have room to mount one on the wall, mount it on top of the roof edge or hidden under the roof overhang.

Step 6: Manual or Electric Operation

If you want to make extending and retracting your awning easier, you might want to install an electric motor. These are simple to install, but not necessary if you want to manually open and close the awning.

Step 7: Finishing Touches for Comfort 

Once you have your awning up and operational, consider whether or not you have an issue with bugs at your site. You have just created a perfect spot for lounging and relaxing but you don't want to have to worry about swatting insects who are out to ruin your peace and quiet. You can attach some open screen sides to your awning.

Tips & Warnings
Awnings should be 12 inches wider than the window to block light from the sides.

When installing the panel stringers, make sure they are parallel to each other.

Most aluminum awnings are built using guidelines from the International Conference of Building Officials (ICBO). Such kits should include an ICBO research report number, which rates the awnings related to how much snow they can hold and what wind speeds the awnings can withstand.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. I just ordered mine from awnings Boston MA and I am so excited to set it up. Thanks again for these step by step instructions and tips!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the DIY steps to install and attach a residential awning properly. The information will be of great help to the homeowners who purchase window and patio awnings from online stores.

Unknown said...

I appreciate this! My dad just purchased a couple awnings for our house and camper. I had no idea how we were going to put them on, but after seeing this I got some great ideas! Thanks for sharing! I found it very helpful

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to get aluminum awnings in Portland, OR for our new place. Any suggestions?

waynedeer said...

Thank you so much for sharing this information on awnings. I never knew exactly what that was until now. Where can I learn more about this? Thank you for your help!

Unknown said...

I got an idea while reading your blog, that is, to install awnings above my windows. They will be helpful in covering windows from rain and direct sunlight.

replacement doors richardson

Unknown said...

Perfect for what i need, i just ordered some awnings in chicago and i want to put them on my house, big help thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is really helpful! We are putting awnings on all our windows in ottawa! I'm really excited to see the final product!

Unknown said...

Awesome post! I have been looking around for a company that does aluminum awnings in Portland OR but I haven't had much luck. Do you have any suggestions?

noname said...

Nice outdoor, it's cozy a nice place to hangout.

Roof Mount Awning

Unknown said...

Awesome post! I've been looking online for different awnings for some of my windows. These are great tips! I'm going to order some today!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post. I've been thinking about buying some awnings for my house and I needed to know the best way to install them. Thanks for the post. It's going to help out a lot.

Unknown said...

These guidelines should really help me out for this weekend. I am putting an awning onto the side of my house, but I had no idea how I would manage it. I am really excited to have the extra shade for my patio.

Jason|http://www.deancustomawnings.com/awnings-in-bergen-county-new-jersey

Unknown said...

I want to install some window awnings on my windows. The home previously had awnings back when it was brand new. My main issue is whether or not awning material fade over time in the sunlight?
http://www.lehmanawning.net/canvas-awnings-services

Unknown said...

My wife has been wanting to find some awnings for our back deck, but I have no idea what to look for. I've been online looking around for some ideas on what I should be looking for, and this helped a ton! So far this site and http://www.advaning.com/ have been the most helpful that I've seen so far. Thanks so much for sharing this, hopefully we can find one soon.

Home Windows said...

Good read. Personally I was looking for some general information about Awning windows and your post was just perfect.Hope that you will continue to do posting.

Universal Windows Las Vegas
Bay and Bow Windows



Post a Comment

 
2012 Window Awnings | BR Softech is a Web Development Company Sponsors: Ruby on Rails, Mobile Application